Monday, December 28, 2009

How do you find the right shade of foundation?

At a drugstore..


I can never seem to get it right!


The one time I do, I unintentionally get a tan and it doesn't work anymore :(





I'm Asian and everything seems too pink for my yellow undertones. *sigh*How do you find the right shade of foundation?
OK, so I think everyone has this problem. In fact I think more than 75% of women are using a foundation shade that doesn't match their skintone. You've already figured out your undertone so that should make it easier since most drugstore foundation displays separate their warm and cool tone foundations. One of the biggest problems with finding the right shade is the lighting! The way a foundation looks on your skin in the drugstore might not even be how it looks in real life since the lighting is different. This goes for all makeup stores and makeup counters since most stores (including MAC and Sephora) are lit in a different and more flattering light. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I've swatched a foundation on at MAC and Sephora and thought it was my perfect shade but once I went outside in the natural light, it was the wrong match. So, what I learned to do is to take several foundation shades and swatch it onto your neck (near the jawline and not your face because most people's faces are either lighter or darker than their neck or bodies and you want it to match the rest of your body esp your neck so it won't look weird). Anyway after you swatch all those shades you think will match you on your neck (side by side so it's easier to compare them...and of course remember which color is which) go out of the drugstore into the natural daylight and see which color disappears or blends in the most! That shade is your perfect shade :)





HOPE THIS HELPSHow do you find the right shade of foundation?
finding the right foundation shade is very difficult. i would suggest that instead of going to a drugstore, go to a department store or a makeup store like Ulta or Sephora. Yes, you will have to pay a bit more for the foundation, but there will be workers there that will be able to help you find the perfect color for your skin. not only will the more expensive foundation look much better than the drugstore one, it will also be much better for your skin and can solve other problems such as dry skin, oily skin, or uneven skin tones.
I have the same problem. I never know if I'm beige or buff. It's all too complicated. I do find that mineral makeup is more forgiving. If you need the coverage that liquid gives you, you can layer mineral makeup. I like it because you can never really find an off shade. It always looks really close in my experience.
To find the right foundation for your skin, the right way is to apply a few shades of foundation on your jawline,





the right foundation for you is the foundation that ';disappear'; when you apply on your skin,





if the foundation is lighter or darker, it will show on your skin
Try to get a color that is lighter than your skin color. Exposure to air can make the foundation darker. x]
Sorry I don't know of any at a drug store but I heard Mac can match asians really well.
try asking the lady at the counter after all she's there for a reason
go and ask an associate for help

No comments:

Post a Comment